In accordance to our practice to have a combined prayer meeting on the last Wednesday of every month, there were no pastoral meetings this last week. Instead 27 church members met together at the church to offer praise and thanksgiving to God and to pray. It has been encouraging to see some new faces and numbers just below 30 for the last couple of prayer meetings. This indicates that more are seeing the importance of meeting together for prayer. However, we would love to see even more of the church to come to what is possibly one of the most important meetings of the church – where we pray and meet with God.
Our four elders led the service; Min Fook led us in worship singing songs of praise and thanksgiving including two songs in Bahasa Malaysia; Francis shared with us items of thanksgiving; Calvin Tan helped us focus on people, issues and items to bring to God in prayer and Tee Fatt gave the closing prayer.
We were encouraged through the reading of these two passages;2 Chronicles 20: 15-17 15 He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouragedbecause of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. 16 Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel. 17 You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.’” Psalm 29 Ascribe to the Lord,you heavenly beings,
ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
2 Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.
the God of glorythunders,
the Lord thunders over the mighty waters.
4 The voice of the Lord is powerful;
the voice of the Lord is majestic.
5 The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;
the Lord breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He makes Lebanon leap like a calf,
Sirion like a young wild ox.
7 The voice of the Lord strikes
with flashes of lightning.
8 The voice of the Lord shakes the desert;
the Lord shakes the Desert of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the Lord twists the oaks
and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, “Glory!”
the Lord is enthroned as King forever.
11 The Lord gives strength to his people;
the Lord blesses his people with peace.
The passage from 2 Chronicles 20 reminds us that it is God that wins the victory. It is He who fights the battle. We are to obey and be ready to take our positions as directed by Him and to stand firm in our faith and He will bring things to pass according to His will. It will not be achieved because of our efforts, our talents or our abilities. Instead, it is God that we can rely on. At the same time, Psalm 29 reminds us how powerful is God and how powerful is His words. He speaks and it is so. Together, the verses encourage us to ask for God to perform miracles and to grant things which are beyond our mortal control.
Some items for Thanksgiving:-
- Thanks for everyone’s prayer support; the meeting on Tuesday related to possible land for a new church building went very well and the discussions are progressing to the next level. This is a great example of something that is beyond the scope of our abilities but God is the one who works things out beyond our expectations.
- Children’s Corner is continuing to grow. Give thanks also for the new security door which will greatly enhance the sense of safety and security for teachers, kids and parents.
- Youth Fellowship continues to see new people coming and their numbers are being added to each week.
Some items for Prayer:-
- The meeting focus was to pray for evangelical and mission work.
- Various Chinese work.
- Ruby and those in her fellowship group.
- NTM training program.
- NTM programs and financial support.
- Stuart Briscoe, one of our camp speakers, has a hectic schedule involving sharing in churches in Penang, Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur in about 6 days in November
- Continue to pray for church building/land to be available.